13 February 2021

Feeling Really Well: Increasing Daily Calorie Target Range and Allowing Myself a Mid-Month Weigh-In if I Want One

I am feeling really well! 

You may recall, I had a little freak out a couple of weeks ago (here, here, and here), and with the help of friends and readers of this blog, and a meaningful session with WRD, I was able to get back under control. 

Now it feels like that little earthquake threw me into a new place. 

I'm ticking off all the boxes on my healthy habits checklist almost every day, and days when I can't or don't, I can accept it: 85% thinking.

I increased my daily caloric range by 100 calories: from 1000-1300 to 1100-1400. This slight adjustment makes it much easier to stay within the range every day, which means it's probably what I need. 

WRD suggested I de-emphasize the calorie target in favour of mindful eating, but I don't feel ready for that. I still feel the need to track my food daily, and that means checking portion sizes, grams of protein, and calories. It's like wearing a seat belt -- a simple act that takes very little time and keeps you safer. I'm still working on mindful eating (driving under the speed limit?) (enough of this metaphor), but tracking my eating decreases my anxiety, increases my peace of mind.

After excellent advice I received from you all, I'm also letting myself hop on the scale an extra time or two, if I feel the urge. Once my weight hits a plateau, weekly weigh-ins are a good idea, and I'd like to be able to do that without going back to daily or more-than-daily weight checks. We'll see. I'm willing to experiment with this one.

5 comments:

  1. I am so, so glad to hear that you are feeling more positive! I am sure having a third dog also helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy! I think it might be the other way around. Boomer benefitted from my feeling well.

    It really was only one week that my head was spinning. But it seems to have served a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, many many thanks for all your support and encouragement. Friends have been reading this and cheering me on and it has meant, and continues to mean, a lot to me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent!! Congratulations!! That's fabulous news!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.