23 January 2021

A List of Good Things that Have Happened Since my Surgery

For the first time since making the decision to have bariatric surgery, I'm struggling. That in itself is pretty good. I decided in September 2019, so it's been nearly a year and a half with no significant issues. 

I can't and won't deny the issues I'm having right now, but a comment from my friend and blog reader "mkk" made me stop and take stock.

Up to now, any negatives I've experienced were physical, such as pain from eating too quickly, or nausea from eating too much, or the dreaded constipation. I expected things like this and -- although yucky while they are happening -- they're not a big deal.

The negatives I'm experiencing now are mental and emotional, and we all know those kinds of issues can be much more difficult and persistent. There are two issues.

  • I am obsessing. Obsessing on calories, portions, weight.
  • My appetite has hugely increased. This is very concerning to me, because if this whole process becomes an issue of willpower... it will not be sustainable. More about this in a future post. I'm not ready to talk about it yet.

Here are the positives that have taken place so far.

  • I was terrified of the pre-op fasting, and it turned out to be fine. 
  • I traveled to the surgery and back -- multiple flights and hotel stays -- with zero problems.
  • My experience at the hospital in Mexico was excellent. 
  • I traveled to the US and Mexico and back and did not get covid!
  • Throughout my recovery, I was on paid work time, and working from home, so it was easy to work with the post-op eating plan and other self-care.
  • A month before the surgery, I received a check in the mail -- out of the blue, totally unexpected -- that covered the full costs of the surgery! We ended up paying only for transportation, which was very manageable.
  • My physical discomfort while recuperating was minimal.
  • I've lost 39 pounds. This includes a sneak-peak at the scale in mid January. Without this surgery, losing almost 40 pounds was completely impossible.
  • I'm comfortably wearing t-shirts that haven't fit me in 10 years.
  • My low-back pain has returned to levels I experienced in the early 90s -- easily dealt with with a few stretches.
  • My knees feel much better.
  • An issue I was having with my bladder has disappeared. 
  • My ankles and feet are no longer swollen -- a condition that was chronic.
  • I am less self-conscious about my appearance in video-conference meetings (Zoom, Teams, Hangouts). This feels really nice.
  • I'm still enjoying food! I was afraid that the surgery would rob me of this basic enjoyment, and that has not happened. This is wonderful.
  • I'm still enjoying cooking, and my partner and I are eating mostly the same food.
  • I'm able to eat almost anything in small quantities. I'm choosing not to eat unhealthy food, but if I wanted to have a small portion of something on my "avoid" list, I could. Having choices rather than being told what I can and cannot eat is important to me and much more sustainable.
  • With my knees and back feeling better, I am already more physically active, and I'm feeling the rewards of that every day.
  • And this is all without knowing the results of any bloodwork. I have my first post-op tests in early February.  

 Really great. 

The two issues I mentioned above are real, and they are troubling me. But they are not the whole story.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy and relieved to know that the positives still vastly outweigh the negatives! You seem to be doing extremely well, and I am so proud of you! Yay! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, mkk. Your comment and those of two other friends have helped a lot. Absolutely the positives far outweigh the negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I remembered another positive and added it to the list -- the swelling in my ankles and feet has disappeared.

    WRD thinks the edema was likely from going from a high-carb diet to almost no carbs. Carbs can make you retain water, which is why a low-carb diet often starts with rapid weight loss.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.