21 February 2021

First Blood Tests Post-Surgery: Result!

When I began this blog, I wrote about a health scare that jolted me into taking action about my weight: I had an elevated fasting glucose level. It wasn't diabetes, but it was considered the "pre-diabetes" range.

A fasting glucose level of 7 or higher on two consecutive readings spells diabetes.

Since 2017, my fasting blood sugar readings have been between 6.3 and 6.7.

(US readers: 6.3 equals approximately 113. 6.7 = 120. The best conversion site on the internet can help! Or here's a conversion chart.)

This terrified me. I already have more than one chronic illness that requires a lot of maintenance. I can't even think about having diabetes on top of that.

I used this fear as motivation to change my eating and exercise habits, as best as I could. I drastically changed and reduced my diet, so it more closely resembled how I ate when I was much thinner.

No result. 

I also started taking supplements that are supposed to reduce blood sugar.

No result.

My frustration with this, and my seeming inability to control my hunger and stop gaining weight, led me to research bariatric surgery.

So. This week I got the results of my first bloodwork since surgery, at the three-month mark. 

Fasting glucose: 5.4 (97.2 US). Normal.

Another relevant test is the Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), which measures blood sugar over time. Health Canada considers a fasting HbA1c level of 4 to 7 (72 to 126 US) normal. Mine was 6.4, is now 5.9.

My liver enzymes have been elevated since around 2007. Normal ALT levels are between 10 and 55. Mine was 98, now 21. 

I was so happy to hear this!

All other readings were normal, except certain vitamin levels were very high. I am taking all the supplements recommended post-bariatric surgery, but because I'm also eating a very healthy diet, I can lower my supplement levels.

Every doctor, both when I had the surgery and with my follow-up, has said that I will no longer need cholesterol or blood pressure medication. That is typical of people post-bariatric. However, I don't expect this to be the case for me. I've had high cholesterol my entire adult life, including when I was thin, and when I was a vegetarian. 

Similarly, my hypertension (high blood pressure) has never responded to diet and exercise. My mother and my sister have the same, and they are both very slim and get a lot of exercise. My hypertension appears to be genetic. My doctor suggested continuing to monitor my blood pressure, and to note if I feel any symptoms of low blood pressure, and we could try lowering the dosage.

I'm so pleased about this and actually looking forward to my March 1 weigh-in.

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.