1 April 2021

April 1 Weigh-In

Pounds lost since last weigh-in: 2

Total pounds lost so far: 47

It seems my weight loss has now slowed to my "normal" rate, what I was capable of losing if I hadn't had surgery -- 0.5 pounds per week, or 2 pounds per month. The difference, however, is that in the past, those 2 pounds meant being hungry all the time -- literally all the time -- which would ultimately make the diet unsustainable.

I do feel disappointed that I didn't lose 5 pounds over the past month, as I had in previous months. But I have to move beyond that. I'm eating very healthfully, not overeating, getting more exercise than I ever have, and feeling really well. My fasting blood glucose level is back to normal. I must focus on the larger picture, and consciously not focus on the number on the scale.

Is this the beginning of the end, the signal that I will soon plateau at a new weight? Or will I continue losing 2 pounds per month? 

My secret goal weight, my "soft goal," is 13 pounds away. Most people who've had this surgery lose weight for 12-18 months, so it's possible. But I want to prepare myself mentally that it might not happen.

5 comments:

  1. I am sure it is disappointing that your weight loss slowed down this month, but please keep in mind that losing 47 pounds is a huge amount and celebrate that! I expect that you will continue to lose more, gradually, and that you will be able to keep it off, because you have developed good habits and you are no longer hungry all the time. Enjoy this enormous accomplishment and all the health benefits that accompany it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what mkk said. As you know from your experience and I know from mine, weight loss always slows down as our system adjusts to fewer calories and our metabolism resets. But you will likely continue to lose a little each month and keep it off. I look at my niece now 13 years after her surgery and having had two children in the interim and am amazed that she has maintained a healthy diet and a healthy weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I'm not upset and in need of a pep talk, but I appreciate your very kind intentions. :)

    We actually don't know how long I will continue to lose weight or what my final weight will be. While I was deciding whether to have the surgery, what kind to have, etc., I read the results of many, many studies in medical journals. Everyone who has bariatric surgery and complies with the lifestyle changes afterwards loses weight. But most people do not lose all their excess weight. Some lose 100% of their excess weight, some only 50%. Most somewhere in the middle.

    I actually could be at my final weight right now -- or it may continue at this rate or slower for another 6 months or so. There really is no way to know. So all I can do is what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And who's to say what is excess weight anyway? If your blood work and vital signs show you are already healthy, isn't that what truly matters? Your attitude is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point! Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.