3 February 2021

I Tried on Some Clothes and Almost Cried from Happiness and Relief

On a post from December 12, I wrote:

The other exception is a collection of professional wear, especially beautiful jackets (the kind some people call blazers or suit jackets). 

Beginning a new career in 2013, I needed new clothes, first for interviewing, then for working. Making peace with my body -- at that time largest I had ever been -- I found a great store that sold plus-size petites. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but when you are short and heavy, this is an incredible lifesaver. They also made shopping easier, with salespeople you can book in advance, so you can shop by yourself, but still have someone going back and forth to get different sizes and ideas for outfits.

This store's clothes were exactly the right mix of dressy and casual, and I started building a new professional wardrobe. The jackets were especially brilliant -- really stylish, but still classic, and they fit beautifully. 

I wore these jackets for several years. I must admit, dressing well and having clothes that fit nicely increased my confidence. 

Then one day I noticed with horror that the jackets no longer fit as well as they should; they were too snug. Then no longer fit, full stop. I kept them, but stopped wearing them.

Yesterday I tried on my favourite jacket... and it fits. It's actually looser than when I bought it. I felt so good. No longer being able to wear these jackets was like a symbol of defeat -- of hopelessness. Buttoning it up felt like a big win.

I actually don't have any reason to wear this jacket now! Maybe I'll just wear it around the house for no reason. 

2 comments:

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.