9 October 2020

When Is a Fast Not a Fast?

When it's a slow?

I don't know the answer to that riddle, but I now know that my pre-surgery diet is not a big deal at all. I have read that different surgeons have their own variations on what they prefer to see pre-op, and that an Optifast fast is not always required. But I didn't want to start hoping one way or the other.

This pre-op eating plan is a light, healthy diet, supplemented by protein drinks, electrolyte drinks, and a lot of water. There are fruits and vegetables, a small amount of whole-grain carbs, and a small amount of soft protein such as turkey or fish. No high-fat food regardless of the kind of fat -- no cheese, nuts, cream -- and no processed sugars. No alcohol, which is not a problem these days.

It's a mostly liquid diet, but not a completely liquid diet. So... I'm good!

It was a bit of an ordeal trying to get this information from the clinic. If I needed Optifast, I would have to order it, and things take a bit longer to arrive here. I was trying to explain to the patient coordinator that I needed to plan, and Monday (presumably the day I start the fast) is a holiday in Canada -- there's no mail and stores are closed. She seemed to think I was just being nervous. 

Today, finally, the clinic dietitian emailed the information. We may have to drive to Campbell River this weekend to have a choice of protein drinks, but we always have things to do there.

So one of the things I was most apprehensive about has been resolved. As usual, anticipation is worse than the thing being anticipated. I find this is almost always true.


6 comments:

  1. Whew! That's a relief! I am so glad it does not seem nearly as ominous. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so much more appealing! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Thank you so much!

    48 hours before surgery, you begin a liquid diet. During this period, you are not supposed to consume any caffeine. I'm going to cut down on my coffee intake throughout the next to weeks, to try to avoid the worst of the caffeine withdrawal.

    I'm going to be TRAVELING WITHOUT COFFEE. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you may recall, I don't drink coffee---or any caffeinated drink. I had to stop years ago because of gastro issues. Once I adjusted to the lack of caffeine (which didn't take more than a couple of days for me), I found that I was just as alert as I'd been without caffeine and felt much better.

    I hope you don't miss it as much as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have quit drinking coffee many times, for various reasons -- doing a cleanse, or because of some medication, or whatever. It is hellish.

    Going cold-turkey was the worst -- massive headaches, inability to concentrate. People would speak to me and I would see their mouths move, and had no idea what they might be saying.

    A mix of decaf and regular, gradually tilting the mix towards decaf, is much better.

    No matter how long I stay caffeine-free, whether days, weeks, months, I always miss it. The moment I drink caffeine again, one sip, I am addicted again.

    A true addict!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll say! When I was pregnant the first time and couldn't drink caffeine, I swore I'd never drink it again. Then I was sleep deprived after she was born and sank right back into coffee.

    But it's now about 20 years since I last drank coffee. Don't miss it at all. It wasn't worth the terrible stomachaches.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.