12 October 2020

Pre-Surgery Diet Begins Today

Today's the day! I start the pre-surgery diet today. I've gone from dreading it to feeling excited about it. It's the next step in my journey, and this is something I've chosen to do, so why I should I dread it? I'm sure it will sometimes be difficult, but I'm going to do it. 

I used to be very disciplined about my eating, and I still am in most areas of my life. So now I will once again apply that discipline to my eating habits.

This is the basic diet I got from the clinic. 

Daily:

* Protein shakes - at least 2/day, can be more - large glass (10-16 ounces / 0.5 litre)
        -- whey protein, milk (any kind), one fruit

* water or other clear liquid - 2 litres / 64 ounces
        -- can be herbal tea, white grape juice, apple juice, flavoured water

* electrolyte drink - 0.5 litre / 16 ounces
        -- I'm using coconut water

* vegetable juice 0.25 litre / 8 ounces of vegetable juice (e.g. V8)
        -- I drink this anyway, the low-sodium kind

* non-fat yogurt - 225 grams / 8 ounces

* a light meal with protein, vegetables, and small portion of whole-grains - once daily
        -- small portion of chicken breast, tuna, tofu, or similar low-fat protein
        -- chicken broth
        -- vegetables (cooked or raw)
        -- small portion of brown rice, quinoa, whole-grain pasta
        -- many people like to have this as soup, as it can be more filling

* They recommend things like sugar-free Jello, which I cannot see eating for any reason! Perhaps some people find it helps satisfy cravings for sweets. 

My first thought: never be too far away from a bathroom!

Readers: Apologies if this is too much nitpicky information. This blog is (also) for myself, to have a complete record of my experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.