7 October 2020

All Systems Are Go: Surgery and Flights Are Booked

It is on!

My surgery will take place on Tuesday, October 27. I'm really excited. I'm nervous, of course, but at a manageable level. 

On Monday, October 12 (Thanksgiving!) I begin the two-week fast. I spoke to the RD about this, and she said for most people, this is the worst part. The post-surgery liquid diets are not as difficult, because by that time, the stomach is very small, and fills very quickly. The most difficult part of that phase is ensuring your protein intake. 

But the pre-surgery fasting will be challenging. I'll be drinking Optifast, a protein-shake meal replacement. I'm especially concerned about fasting while I'm traveling down to San Diego. By that time I'll be off the protein shakes and drinking only water. 

The fasting is done to shrink the liver, which makes it easier for the surgeon to visualize using the laparoscopy -- which makes the surgery safer. In other words: important.

Well, everyone who has this surgery manages to get through the fasting, so I will, too. One day at a time. I'll count the days... and probably write a bunch of complaining posts. You've been warned!

Several people reading this blog have been very supportive. I appreciate it more than I can express. It means everything to me. Many, many thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the fast (and everything else). Keep the end in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you already have a surgery date. All of it will be challenging, but I have confidence that you are up to the task. Wishing you all the best on this journey! Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! That's right, I'll keep my eyes on the prize.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.