25 September 2020

Another Step Forward: Primary Care Doctor Checklist

I saw a primary care doctor in our town today. We don't have a family doctor; they are in very short supply in rural and remote areas. I really dislike not having a family doc, but we can always see a doctor with very little waiting. There is one young female doctor who I've seen several times, who I like. I always request her, and so far that has not been a problem. It's not the same as having a family doctor, but it's better than seeing a different doctor every time, walk-in-clinic style.

So today I told Primary Care Doctor that I've decided to get the surgery done privately in Mexico, and I need a few things in order to move forward. PCD ordered the blood tests and an ECG. After that, we'll do a physical, and if everything is OK, she'll write a letter that I'm fit for surgery.

She asked about the services that the private clinic provide: is there follow-up, a dietitian, an endocrinologist? I told her that I have the booklet (more like a manual) from the bariatric clinics here in BC, and I am hoping that I can work with the dietitian here at the primary-care centre. In addition, I am good at doing my own research and following an eating and exercise plan. Those things are not new to me.

PCD encouraged me to tell the BC bariatric clinic that I'm having the surgery, and see if they will do follow-up with me. It seems like a good idea to do both.

I'm getting the blood work done on Monday, and should have everything in place next week! I'm happy and excited.

Right now, the thing that's bothering me the most is flying while covid-19 is still active. It's a risk, and I wish I didn't have to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.