6 August 2023

Observations About Weight Regain in the Absence of Easy Cues

I last wrote about my small but significant weight re-gain, and returning to tracking my eating. Although in March I wrote "see you in a month," it's been several months, so there's a decent amount of data on how things are going.

Tracking my eating has been very helpful. But despite that, I noticed I was eating more. I was increasingly concerned that I my little stomach may have stretched irrevocably: I was able to eat larger portions without experiencing the sensations that would cause me to immediately stop eating. 

For more than a year after the surgery, when I ate, I would very quickly feel full. If I ate one bite past that feeling, I was uncomfortable. Two bites, I would be overwhelmingly uncomfortable. Three bites was impossible, or I would run to the bathroom gagging. Thus I learned to be satisfied eating less!

I gradually lost this instant feedback, slowly enough that I didn't notice it on a daily basis. And then one day, I realized I was eating larger portions. In the summer we grill burgers on the deck. Last summer I would cut my burger on a bun in half, eat one half, and save the other half. This summer, I ate a whole burger with no discomfort. This worried and scared me. 

Then something interesting happened. I tried eating the post-surgery portion sizes and stopping, even though I wasn't getting that stop eating now! feeling. And I found I could stop, and was no longer hungry.

This may sound ridiculous or obvious, depending on your experience. But in my past experience, pre-surgery, I was almost always hungry. If I ate a smaller portion, I needed to cope with the feeling of still being hungry. That is very difficult to do on a consistent basis. 

The half-burger is one example. Another example is my mid-morning snack, between breakfast and lunch. I could eat x amount and not feel uncomfortable. Or I could eat half-x amount and also feel like I'd eaten enough.

So it turns out I can eat more -- but I can also eat less.

This causes me to wonder whether the disappearance of the immediate and non-negotiable feedback cues are the reason for some people's long-term weight regain after bariatric surgery. Because the big difference post-surgery is that immediate stop eating now sensation. Without those non-negotiable cues, I must be much more mindful of portion size and quantity. I must make very conscious choices of when to stop. This is a whole different post-surgery outlook. 

If you've never been overweight, or you're not someone with a big appetite who enjoys food, this may sound easy. I can tell you it is not easy. It is challenging. However, I can now do it -- where in the past, I could not.

So now in addition to tracking my food, I have to negotiate my portion size in advance of every meal. This means I can never let myself get too hungry. That's always been important for me, but now it's crucial, if I'm going to avoid re-gaining weight. 

Right now my weight is -37 from my pre-surgery weight, same as it was one year ago, and three pounds less than it was in March of this year. I'd like to lose a little more, but most importantly, I don't want to gain any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.