20 October 2020

One Week to Go: What's on My Mind

The surgery is in one week from today! 

My current concern is the travel. 

In the final 48 hours before surgery, you're on a true fast -- liquids only. During this phase, there are no protein shakes, just water, juice, or clear broth. People with diabetes (no) or hypoglycemia (yes) can eat a small amount of protein, such as a hardboiled egg, if they feel dizzy or lightheaded. 

This scares me, and doing this while dealing with multiple flights and layovers, and everything that's involved with that, scares me more. I know I'll get through it. I'm just kind of dreading it.

In addition to fasting, the severe urticaria (hives) I've been struggling with is back in full force. It was 90% gone, and the fact of its reappearance is not a good sign. It likely means this condition is chronic and will come and go repeatedly. The antihistamines help, but at various (unpredictable) times during the day, my skin is on fire with itching, burning, and sharp stinging.

And of course, there's covid. I'll do my best to distance, and naturally I'll be wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer frequently. I can only hope the airports will not be crowded, and the flights not sold out. (The airlines now allow you to check what percentage of seats have been sold, and re-book at no extra charge -- but if you have a connecting flight and an event you are traveling to, that's not much help.)

Fasting, itching, and social distancing. I normally look forward to any travel, but this seems onerous. Maybe instead of counting the days, as I'm doing now with the semi-fast, I'll count the hours. I'm also telling myself that the anticipation is almost always worse than the event. 

(A reminder: I'm not freaking out. Just expressing my concerns.)

On the way back, I'll also be a liquids-only phase, but according to the dietitian, this will be much easier, as most people have very little appetite at that time. The surgery itself is laparoscopic -- that's why you can travel so soon after it -- but still, it is surgery, and I'll need to be careful.

Once I'm back, I'll have to self-isolate for 14 days, which will be very easy, as I'm working from home. I've taken two weeks off work for the surgery and recovery, but even after that I have no need to go anywhere while the quarantine period runs out.

Meanwhile, in the present, the semi-fast and caffeine step-down are going really well. It can be a bit challenging to open the fridge and see the food I've made for my partner... and pull out only the coconut water! But I'm doing it -- one glass of water, one protein shake at a time. 

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot to take on. I truly admire your determination and your courage. And I hope that the travel leg of this experience also proves to be easier than expected just as the diet prep has been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amy -- for the good wishes, but also for framing this as determination and courage. I hope it is not stupidity. Stupidity and courage often look exactly alike. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.