1 September 2026

Ozempic Update: Prices Are Lower, Food Is Good.

Being on Ozempic is amazing. There's just no other way to put it. It's amazing.

As you probably know, GLP-1 drugs are now available in generic form in Canada. The pharma company that held the patent announced it would match the generic prices. 

As soon as this happened, I asked my family doctor to transfer my prescription from the private, internet-based company. I was never comfortable using them in the first place, and I wanted my health records to reflect what I'm actually doing. The doc wanted me to have an appointment with the dietitian first. That's WRD from earlier in this blog! I was happy to reconnect with her.

I had a great appointment with WRD, talked through some things, and she sent something to my family doctor requesting to transfer the prescription. Done and done.

Things I cannot believe

This is the first time in my life I've allowed myself to eat whatever I want. Between being unable to control my weight and my eating-disorder mindset, I have done that. Every choice would come with guilt, or need rationalization, or I denied myself. Or any combination of those. 

Now I eat whatever I want, just in much smaller quantities. Overall, I have a healthy diet -- but I also want to eat things outside of that. A weekly ice cream after dinner. (A pint lasts for four or five servings.) I love food like baked pasta casseroles, but in the past, never let myself eat them. Now I do. I rarely eat fried food, but if I want a spring roll, I eat it. This is incredibly liberating.

And here's the truly amazing bit: I am still losing weight! I'm not trying to lose more weight. I was back to the -50 that I hit (and plateaued at) after surgery. But very slowly, the number is still going down. 

Wow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.