1 March 2021

What Is My Ideal Weight? Why I Don't Have a Goal Weight

Motivational advice has become a cottage industry during the pandemic. Advice on how to set goals, how to reach goals, how to adjust your attitude, how to stay motivated, how not to sabotage yourself, how this and how that, have proliferated online like mushrooms after a rainstorm. 

Many people are experiencing "motivation fatigue". On social media, you see a lot of  "stop telling me how to meet my goals... I just want to get through the day".

85% goal-setting: it's not SMART

Most motivational advice involves goal-setting -- especially so-called SMART goals. If somehow you've managed to escape this over-used acronym, it stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely. The company I work for is obsessed with SMART goals. We're always writing them, planning for them, evaluating them, re-assessing them. 

But while I'm forced to use SMART goals in my professional life, I consciously don't use them in my personal life. My problem with SMART goals are the S and the T. For me, specific goals with deadlines are exactly what I don't need. 

Since recognizing that my biggest obstacle was all-or-nothing thinking -- since understanding that 85% thinking would be a healthier way to live -- I have chosen not to create specific goals and never to give myself a deadline. (There are some exceptions to this... because even 85% thinking is subject to 85% thinking!)

Instead, my life goals are all about process

Here are two examples of process goals from my life. 

  • Rather than say, I will read x number of books this year, I say, I want to devote more time to reading, and come up with strategies to help me do that.

  • For the past year, I have been re-learning how to play piano. My goal is simply to continue to learn how to play. The process of learning is the goal.

For me, as soon as I attach a specific -- I will read 30 books this year, I will learn how to play Summertime -- the experience is ruined, or at least diminished. If I can play Summertime but I still make mistakes, have I failed? What about a more complicated version of the song -- does my simple version "count"? What if I start a book and don't finish it, does that count? What if I read only 28 books -- what happens? 

I do use habit-tracking. I track various healthy habits that I want to incorporate into my life, and I like to see as many x's in as many boxes as possible. But not every box is checked every day. Some days, all the boxes are empty! And some days they are extra full. I find the act of tracking habits to be motivating, so I use it. But my goal-setting is general, rather than specific, and has no timeline attached.

If you know that staying motivated is difficult for you, and your habits run more to procrastination, then goal-setting and SMART goals could give you structure and direction. But if, like me, you are too disciplined, and your habits run more towards obsession and perfectionism, then SMART goals can become straightjackets.

So where does this leave me in terms of weight loss?

No one can tell you how much weight you'll lose from bariatric surgery. Post-surgical weight loss is measured as percent of excess weight loss (%EW). Estimates run from 40%EW to 80%EW. That's wide range! Plus, your ideal weight is also expressed as a range, usually plus or minus 20 pounds. So I can't say with any certainty how many pounds of excess weight I have, and I can't predict how many of those pounds I'll lose!

And the lowest weight you reach after surgery is likely not your final destination; most people re-gain around 10% of the weight they lost.

So what's a realistic goal? Who knows!

I probably have 70-ish pounds of excess weight. But is losing 70 pounds a realistic goal? Who knows!

In the back of my mind, I did think it would be good to lose at least 50 pounds, and right now that seems likely to happen. But if ultimately I lost 45 pounds, and my health outcomes improved greatly, is that a failure, and should I obsess on losing five pounds more? No and no. 

TL;DR: I'm trying really hard to not obsess on the number on the scale, but to focus on health and how I feel. That's why I've chosen not to have a weight goal. I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing and we'll see where it takes me.

14 comments:

  1. I think your approach is so much healthier. Maybe that's because I am also a compulsive person and way too goal oriented for too much of my life. One blessing of retirmenet is letting go of so many of those goals. And it has bled into my life in general. I no longer feel compelled to finish books I don't like, I stopped counting calories and weighing myself EVERY day, and I don't have to answer every email within 24 hours---though I probably still do for most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, it's SO wonderful that you've been able to be easier on yourself. I wonder if you could wean yourself off calorie-counting and weighing, permanently.

    Your examples are illustrate how perfectionism prevents us from experiencing more of life. If I thought I had to finish every book I read, I'd be much more careful about which books I chose -- instead of sampling any book I had a passing interest in. I would certainly never take piano lessons.

    Best of luck as you continue that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, L. I really have stopped counting calories. I will always feel heavier than I am, as insane as that is. I went to the orthopedist for knee problems yesterday (arthritis), and the doctor said that since I was not heavy, that was good in terms of my knee holding up for a while longer. I was even at 68 flattered that he didn't think I was heavy. Crazy.

    Best of luck to you as well. I think it's hard to give up on perfectionism when it's been expected of you and then self-imposed from an early age. But we are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is only crazy because we live in a crazy world. The idea that we should always be thinner is in the air we breathe, has been our whole lives. I'm glad to know you no longer count calories. Whew.

    Good luck with your arthritic knee! The key for me is finding the exercise sweet spot -- not too little, not too much. Plus celebrex, plus glucosamine/chondroitin.

    I'm guessing you don't want to take anti-inflammatories, but don't skip the G/C. Best to start with a loading dose, then find your maintenance dose. I started with 2 capsules 3x/day, then went down to 2 2x/day, and have taken that for ages -- decades. It has helped hugely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I am working with a PT and will consult with her and the doctor about various recommendations I've been getting. It's a bit overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well then, I will hope your doc and physio recommend G/C! It is such an important piece of arthritis care -- take it from someone who has lived with arthritis for decades. In Canada, rheumatologists prescribe it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely ask about this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least to shut me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I did ask the PT, and he said to ask a doctor. He said their goal is to strengthen the muscles to reduce the risk of injury to the joint. So now I will ask the doctor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not all doctors "believe" in recommending supplements. I'm sure you know that for many MDs, if it's not part of western medicine, it's snake oil.

    When I saw Cosequin -- glucosamine/chondroitin for dogs -- reverse our first dog's arthritis, I began using it for myself. Gypsy was almost unable to walk, and within 6 months she was putting her front paws on the window sill to stand up and look out the window, something she had not been able to do for years. Cosequin added 2 years to her life.

    I guess you are more comfortable following a doctor's orders without doing your own research? I'm not being snarky here -- straight-up question -- if that is your preference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the joints in my hands were very "mobile" -- weak, wobbly, instable. They are now all strong and stable. And there's no other reason for that, just glucosamine/condroitin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny that you learned about G/C from the dog's experience because years ago our vet recommended it for Cassie when she no longer could walk well. He said he used it himself.

    The problem with doing internet research is that you can read as many negative things as positive things about any medication or supplment. I have some other underlying conditions (mostly gastrointestinal), and I take some prescriptions and want to be sure nothing will interact negatively with those medications. And I admit---I do trust doctors and other health care professionals. Most doctors I know today are far more open to supplements, and I am sure my orthopedist will be fine with C/G, but I may be old school, so I will ask.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh absolutely re internet research -- although you'd be very hard pressed to find negative information about G/C. I would only use a few trusted sites. "Ask Dr Google" is not a good idea.

    I take a lot of different medications and supplements, and (as with everything in my life) I'm not particularly cautious. If I try a supplement and it gives me issues, I'll just stop taking it.

    In any case, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, I am about half done with The Bridge. So sad, and so well done.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.