2 January 2021

Eating and Enjoying Real Food; Sustainable Self-Discipline

One of the things that concerned me most about weight-loss surgery was the idea of losing the enjoyment of eating and food. I heard and read that this would not happen, but there's a difference between knowing something in your mind and seeing it in practice in your life. 

Now I am eating. And enjoying. And this is a great relief! For the last 10 days, my partner and I have eaten the same food for dinner almost every night. If we didn't, it was because we got takeout and ordered different things.

"Eat protein first"... not really

Some of this concern was about cooking. All the info on bariatric diets advise you to eat protein first, then vegetables, then if you are able to eat more, a small portion of whole grain or complex carbohydrates. I cook mainly one-pot dishes. Whether soup, stew, stir-fry, sheet-pan, or casserole, the protein, vegetables, and grains are all cooked together. The one exception to this is grilling in the summer. Other than that, I'm combining simple ingredients in various ways. How was that going to work with "eat your protein first"? 

WRD explained that this "rule" really means to make protein the focus of your meal. You want to make sure you are meeting your protein requirements, and if you fill up on carbs, you won't be able to do that. Then why don't they say so?

For a one-pot cook, this means adjusting the ratio -- bumping up the protein, reducing the carbs. That's easily done. I might change the ratio when I'm cooking, or I might do it only when I serve myself. Either way, it's not difficult.

Sustainable self-discipline

Despite the tiny stomach, the bariatric diet still requires discipline and self-control. Although I can't eat a lot at once, I could eat small amounts that would add up to too much. If we're binge-watching something on Netflix, I could easily have a small snack every half-hour, and/or I could snack on the wrong food, filling up on empty calories. It's possible to do.

The difference is that the tiny stomach makes the discipline sustainable, because I'm not hungry all the time, or if I am hungry, a small amount of food is all I need.

When I was doing the pre-op fast, someone mentioned that I was proving that I could modify my eating behaviour. But behaviour modification was never my issue; my long history of dieting demonstrates that! I was overweight because I had consciously given up on dieting, and I was always hungry. Now, because of the surgery, I can eat a very calorie-restricted diet, without being hungry. Sustainable self-discipline.

85% thinking

Using an app to track diet and exercise can really run counter to 85% thinking. Calories eaten, calories burned, calories left to eat for the day... it has the potential to cultivate some very unhealthy thinking. But tracking my intake is really important right now. So I have to do it, and stick to it, but at the same time I have to give myself leeway and not give in to all-or-nothing thinking. It's a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.