26 October 2020

Greetings from Oasis of Hope Hospital

I'm here! Today, the day I was most dreading, was fine. It was even fun! I love to travel, and I love to travel alone, and it doesn't really matter where I'm going. Or, apparently, how little I eat! I've been so travel-starved from covid that just having a change of scenery and flying places was a treat.

The two-week semi-fast clearly changed my appetite. At one point today I ate a 100-gram Greek yogurt and drank a tiny box of juice, and I was almost uncomfortably full, wishing I had saved the juice for later in the day! That is crazy! 

This surgery will really change my eating habits around travel. Travel, for me, is almost always associated with unhealthy eating choices, and often overeating. I guess those days are over. It was fun while it lasted! (Readers who don't know me, that was said while smiling and laughing.)
 
Everything went smoothly today. Masks are mandatory and there was plenty of room for social distancing -- until the flight to San Diego. It was packed. I wasn't too comfortable with that. 
 
The driver picked me up in San Diego as planned, and we were very quickly at the hospital. I had a long wait until finally someone appeared with forms and took me to my room. There seems to be a lot of administrative confusion, I think because I arrived at night, when there are fewer people on duty. 

But everything got done eventually. I'm in my room, they've taken my vitals, I've filled out forms, and signed scary disclaimers. I am excited and nervous! Can't wait to be on the other side.

* * * *

You know you're a busybody when you ask more questions than the customs agent!

Where are you going?
Is it for work or family?
For how long?
Where are you staying?
Going shopping while you're there?
Did you take the hotel shuttle last night?
How much was the cab?
Where do you live?
Is the weather nice there?
 
This was the other person on the hotel's airport shuttle this morning!

Some of these are perfectly legitimate small-talk questions -- but some are inappropriate. And honestly, on an airport shuttle, do you really need to know anything about the other passengers? 
 
FYI, I did not answer truthfully.

4 comments:

  1. Great to read that things are going well. Thinking of you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that things are continuing to go well! We were happy to hear from Allan! Sending you hugs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you, and hoping you are feeling good now that the surgery is behind you. xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.