27 August 2020

I Am Considering Having the Surgery Done at a Private Clinic

I've been researching the options for having bariatric surgery done privately, outside of our public health care system. The big consideration -- actually, the only consideration -- is money. It is very expensive, far more than I should even be thinking about. 

I recently had a small surgical procedure done, and I had to be weighed for the anesthesia. I was both shocked and not at all surprised to see I have gained yet more weight. 

Shocked, because I haven't been on a scale in more than two years, so seeing the number was a shock. 

Not surprised, because this is what my body does. Despite any steps I have taken or will take, I gain weight.

At this point I feel that my weight is diminishing my quality of life. I am becoming increasingly less mobile. More and more health issues are popping up. I'm sure that surgery is my only option. But surgery in this province is easily two years away -- or more.

I could have the surgery done in another province (on the other side of the country), right away, no waiting, if I'm willing to spend an extremely large amount of money. I would have to finance it, so I'd have yet another bill to pay. We are currently paying off a short-term (no interest) loan that ends in December 2021. Financing part of the surgery would make next year's finances even tighter. Although not impossible. 

The private clinic sees people from all over Canada, and they can arrange it so there is only one trip, for the surgery itself. Tests and whatever medical prep is needed can happen locally, and consultations can be done by videoconference.

What if I have the surgery done privately, incur all that expense and debt, then the Province announces a new policy, and they clear the bariatric surgery waitlist? That would suck!

I already know I want the surgery. I don't know if I should do it financially.

I also know this is not a question anyone else can answer for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, as long as they're not sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted. Comments solely for the purpose of re-directing traffic or commercial sales will not be posted.